Faster To Any Disaster
The wet carpet in this office required extraction.
Disaster struck at One Main Financial last week as work being done in a neighboring unit caused three offices in their unit to flood. Luckily, they were quick to call us. The wet carpet in the three office rooms required extraction which not only removes the water but also helps eliminate the possibility of any odors due to the water if it is left to sit. Our technicians rushed over and took care of the problem. With the extraction and equipment used, we were able to dry them out and have them up and running by the time the weekend was over. This serves as a very good reminder that water damage can happen anywhere at any time, it is not exclusive to residential homes.
A hurricane forming in the Gulf of Mexico
This storm season follows up one of the most active storm seasons in recent memory. Last year we saw 30 named storms, and although this year doesn't project to be as active, we will still see a healthy amount of storms. We are expected to have between 13 and 20 storms. They officially become storms once winds reach over 39 mph. According to the NOAA, the average storm season brings about 14 named storms, which means the predictions for this year could be spot on or we could see a couple more. Obviously it is very hard to predict these storms so it is good to always be prepared, especially if you live in areas near the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.
Here To Help
Here at SERVPRO of Evanston, we are committed to providing the best service possible to all of our customers. Something very important to us is known as the IICRC, which provides certifications in specific areas. The IICRC stands for the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. The IICRC offers certification courses in areas such as water damage restoration, fire and smoke damage restoration, odor control and various other topics. We encourage our employees to participate in these courses because it not only strengthens them but it strengthens us as a franchise. By completing these courses, our employees are able to take the knowledge learned in the classroom and directly apply it to the current job at hand. When you call on SERVPRO, you can have confidence that the employees doing the work have the best training and know what it takes to effectively and efficiently handle all of your restoration needs.
It Starts At The Top
This customer has some serious water damage
A customer recently experienced some water damage from a leak in their roof. It not only effected a room upstairs, but leaked down and effected the ceiling in the living room, as shown in the picture. Once we assessed the damage, it was determined that the effected flooring and ceiling upstairs as well as the effected ceiling downstairs needed to be removed. Before performing any demolition, the customers content was removed and moved to a safe and secure place where it could not be damaged. All items that were left on sight were covered with plastic to ensure they would not be covered in dust. Once the project is concluded, the customers content will be moved back and placed where it was when we began, making it seem as if it never even happened.
SERVPRO is committed to helping the community.
With over 40 years of business in the cleaning and restoration industry and more than 1600 franchises, SERVPRO representatives have the right tools for the job. Our technicians are trained on the newest and most up to date techniques and equipment. Our technicians and crew chiefs go through training to become IICRC certified, ensuring they have the appropriate knowledge to do the job the right way.
We work smarter, not harder with the goal of putting our customers back to normal in as short a time as possible. By choosing the right equipment, we can shorten drying times and decrease mitigation costs. We can also minimize the need for some demolition which will allow our customers to return to normal quicker than our competition.
Here at SERVPRO, our goal is to put our customers lives back together as quickly and efficiently as possible. We aim to address all needs and provide answers to any questions our customers might have.
Choose the right tool. Choose SERVPRO.
A hurricane forming in the Atlantic Ocean
The official start of Hurricane Season is June 1st and runs all the way through November 30th. Here at SERVPRO, this can be a very busy time of year for us. Last year, a record breaking 30 storms developed in the Atlantic, with 13 becoming hurricanes and then 6 becoming major hurricanes, according to the NOAA.
These storms can bring a large amount of damage and devastation. Peoples homes will flood and their belongings will be destroyed, that is where we come in. We travel to these places along with dozens of other SERVPRO franchises to help out and take some of the workload off of the local franchises.
This year the NOAA is predicting 13-20 storms, 6-10 of which could become hurricanes. So if things go according to their predictions, this could be another very busy summer and fall for SERVPRO's all over the country.
Firepit Safety This Summer
Here is an example of what a safe fire pit looks like.
With summer on its way you might find yourself spending more time around the fire pits. Here are some safe practices that could help save you and your home from a fire this summer.
1. Never build your fire under an awning or any sort of overhang. This also includes trees, bushes, or umbrellas.
2. Always be ready to extinguish the flames. Whether that be when the party is winding down and it's time for bed, or in case of emergency. Make sure you have an extinguisher handy so your party doesn't crash and burn.
3. Never leave your fire unattended. Something as simple as a wind gust can put your entire home in jeopardy. Checking the wind conditions is another thing you should keep in mind when building your fire. If the wind is blowing towards your home or other flammable objects, you might want to save the fire for another day.
Summer Storm Prep
Tornado in Illinois
As we get ready to enter into summer, we want to make sure our community is well prepared and informed of what to do in case the storms get way out of hand. To ensure you and your loved ones are safe during this upcoming storm season, read along for these tips on what to do to be storm safe:
- Know Your Risks: One the most important things you can do is understand how susceptible your area is to bad weather. Being informed of the likelihood of how a storm, can affect your area by keeping up to date with weather announcement and local and governments
- Build an Emergency Kit: This one sounds simple, but it is often overlooked. Keeping an emergency kit that is stocked with water, canned foods, non perishables, and comfort items such as blankets and toys could be the difference between a disaster and an inconvenience.
- Review And Gather Documents: Review your policies ahead of time to see what is covered and if flood insurance is available to you. Gather important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, birth certificates, deeds, or even sentimental documents and keep them in a fireproof and waterproof safe.
- Be Informed: Knowing where to go and who to call is key to staying safe. Having an evacuation plan in place in the event of a disaster ensures members of your household know what to do in case home isn’t the safest place to be. Have a planned route and an alternate route to get to a safe place away from the storm.
- Strengthen Your Home: Taking a look around your property to see if you are vulnerable in the event of a hurricane is a key factor in minimizing your risk of damage. By looking for vulnerable areas, you’ll be able to address them and fortify and susceptible areas around the home or property.
Implementing these tips will help you face this storm season and minimize the risk of your property being a victim of the elements. Keep SERVPRO of Evanston in mind for all your storm damage restoration needs.
How to Handle Storm Damage to Your Property
Storms can lead to a multitude of damage to your home or business.
Our team at SERVPRO of Evanston is prepared for the storms that will hit the Chicagoland area this summer. There is potential for severe weather and with this comes overwhelming precipitation, wind speeds, and debris that can expose weak points in construction like gutters and downspouts. You may find it necessary to clean up water damage in your home. Fortunately, there are many professionals who can help. Dealing with repairs and insurance companies after severe weather hits your property can be difficult. Homeowners can use the following tips to help tackle the storm damage caused by hard rains, flooding, or storm-related issues. Here are a few helpful storm tips you may wish to know before you begin the cleanup process
1. Follow Safety Procedures - It's important to follow safety procedures before you proceed with storm cleanup. For example, turn off any electricity before entering a flooded area, and only use properly rated equipment when removing water.
2. Contact Your Insurance - You may also wish to contact your insurance about the damage to your property. Repairs can begin before your agent arrives on the scene, but you may find your insurance company has a couple of recommendations for local storm damage restoration companies, like SERVPRO of Evanston, you can work with.
3. Contact a Professional Quickly - Another among many commonly recommended storm tips, is to contact a professional for any repairs that need to be made. This will help ensure that the restoration is conducted properly, and in some cases can help your insurance claim as well.
4. Wear Safety Gear - It's also important to wear the proper safety gear when entering the space. This may include work gloves, a face mask, clothing that covers the skin, proper shoes, and depending on the damage type a work helmet.
5. Cover Over Damaged Areas - Another step many professionals recommend is to cover over any damages until repairs can be made. This will help prevent further damage and help keep animals out of your home.
Remember to follow these helpful storm tips when restoring your home. Always follow safety procedures such as turning off any electricity and wearing the proper safety equipment. It's also wise to contact a professional to perform any repairs, as well as your insurance company for any recommendations they may have. You should also cover over any damaged space until the repairs can begin in the area. Our team at SERVPRO of Evanston is part of the larger, national Brand of SERVPRO Industries. In the event of damage from this storm, our teams have the ability to call in reinforcements. Know that you can trust SERVPRO of Evanston to put your home or business back together, “Like it never even happened.”
What to Expect When You Call SERVPRO
What should be expected when you contact us?
First and foremost, expect our 24-hour availability! Whether you are calling day or night, weekday or weekends, and even during the holidays, you can always expect to speak with a real person about the emergency you are experiencing. SERVPRO of Evanston is the top choice for many insurance agencies in the Chicagoland area. Our availability and quick response time speaks to that!
Here is what you can expect during the first several hours after contacting SERVPRO of Evanston:
Quick Response - When a building has been damaged, the response time is an important factor in how time-consuming and how costly restoration will be. SERVPRO is always open, so you can expect to hear back within an hour after you have contacted them about the emergency. Once you have provided them with the necessary information, we will begin preparing to address the needs of your client. Arrive Time - Our technicians can be on-site to begin the restoration process within four hours. This fast response can make the difference if your home or commercial business has suffered a great deal of damage. Beginning the process more quickly will result in less damage overall which can end up costing the insurance agency less money. Inspection/Verbal Briefing - Once the damage restoration specialists have arrived, they can inspect the home to determine the extent of the damage and decide on the best course of action moving forward. Our team has the ability to let you know in the emergency is claim worthy or not as well. They will provide a verbal briefing so that you are aware of what will happen next. Our team's quick 24-hour response will allow us to begin mitigation as soon as possible to prevent any further damage before we begin work on necessary repairs.
Whether it be flooding, fire, or mold SERVPRO of Evanston will respond quick and help you get your home or business back fast!