Fireplace & Wood Stove Safety
Follow these heating safety tips to help keep your home fire safe this winter.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from your fireplace or wood stove.
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid. Place the container outside at least 10 feet from your home.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of your fi replace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.
- Make sure fireplace “on” switches and remote controls are out of the reach of children.
Wood stove safety
- Make sure your wood stove has been tested by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the doors of your wood stove closed unless loading or stoking the live fire.
From all of us at SERVPRO of Evanston, be safe, and