The Problem with Mold
Mold is a common finding throughout many homes and buildings, and it is most common in or around areas that contain a lot of moisture. These may be areas around leaks, roofs, windows, pipes, or areas where there has been previous flooding. Mold is able to thrive on a number of surfaces including paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, wallpaper, carpet, and upholstery -- all things very common throughout the average home.
If you have an ongoing moisture problem in your building, it is important to be on the lookout for the following signs:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong musty odors that might indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems.
- Excess humidity.
Aside from being just plain annoying, mold can have a number of adverse health effects on you or your family when it is growing inside your home. The health effects make it very important to resolve a mold problem when one is present.
Here are a few things you can do to help prevent mold growth:
- Control humidity levels.
- Promptly fix leaky roofs, windows, and pipes.
- Thoroughly clean and dry after flooding.
- Ventilating shower, laundry, and cooking areas.
For help with a mold problem in your home, you can call SERVPRO of Evanston.